Goat Song Farm Principles
The principles here at Goat Song Farm are straightforward and basic.
- GRASS BASED: Herbivores should be just that: Herbivores. My rabbits, goats, and cow/s do not eat any animal-based proteins such as meat, bone, or blood meal; nor do they eat chicken manure, dead cows, or damaged candy bars like cows at conventional farms do. A herbivore has four stomachs specifically for digesting plants, so that's what I do here.
- RESPECT TOWARDS SPECIES: Every animal should live as they were intended. The cows and goats move to fresh pasture every day instead of being confined to one spot continuously. Hogs are allowed to root in the dirt, rather than be kept on concrete slabs. Chickens free-range behind the cows; scattering the cow patties, gleaning bugs and enjoying the sunshine. Rabbits are moved to fresh pasture every day, like the cows; enjoying a new salad bar that is packed with nutrition.
- HONESTY: Profit is not the main goal at this farm. Healing the land, and the community is. I price my products by what it cost me to raise it, even if that cost is far below what other farmers are charging for their food.
- TRANSPARENCY: I have nothing to hide here; cameras are welcome in every corner. I run a clean, tight ship that everyone can observe.
- LOCAL: I don't ship my food. I serve the surrounding area of the Willamette Valley, in Oregon. If you would like to try some of my meats or dairy, by all means please schedule a farm visit!
- HUMANE ANIMAL TREATMENT: You'll see some of the most pampered animals here, but at the same time, they are still livestock. All animals are treated in a humane, gentle, but firm manner.
- BIODIVERSITY: My goal is to build the soil back up. By running various species of animals through small sections at a time, in a balanced way, the land becomes more fertile and diverse than it ever was before.
- CLEAN, NUTRITIOUS FOOD: America has enough junk food available. It's time to bring back REAL food, and it is my utmost pleasure to be able to do that for you. My meats, eggs, and dairy are packed with nutrition and are healthy for you!
- FAMILY FRIENDLY: Children are welcome here, and there are always animals to pet! The goats especially love small kids.